Why Garth should design, develop, and promote your web site
I have a unique combination of skills which make me well qualified to create wonderful web sites. These skills include:
- HTML coding skills
- I hand code clean, standards compliant HTML. This is the first line of defense against sites which only work in certain browsers.
- Search engine optimization skills
- What's the point of launching a beautiful new site if nobody can find it on Google or the other search engines? I'll make sure that your site is structured for search engine indexing, has original content, and a solid base of other sites pointing links at it.
- Use of interactive web technologies
- Ready-made original scripts
- I have already written scripts for a wide range of website functions. These scripts integrate well and easily with each other, giving me the ability to put together full-functioned sites quickly, efficiently, and without the code bloat and gratuitous fru-fru inevitable with the various website-in-a-box development platforms. These ready-made scripts include a shopping cart, events calendar, photo galleries, owner-maintainable content pages, events calendars, links pages, etc.
- Aesthetic sensibilities
- Through many years of nature photography and considerable graphic design training, I have acquired an excellent sence of composition, balance, harmony, and color.
- Graphics software skills
- I have a detailed working knowledge of PhotoShop, Illustrator, ImageReady, and various page layout and word processing programs. This enables me to convert your ideas or your existing print document to a functional web site efficiently.
- Photographic background
- The low resolution of web graphics is often used as an excuse for sloppy photography or not using photos in web sites at all. In fact, the web allows good photography to look good while making bad photography look even worse. My skills in various styles of photography, darkroom work, and digital imagery enable me to get the most bang for your bandwidth.
- English language skills
- I have a remarkable facilitude with the english language. I've like graduated from collej and stuff like that. My speling and grammer is impeccable, I strive to never ever under any circumstances split an infinitive, my subjects and verbs always agrees, I wouldn't never use a double negative, of cource I'd wouldn't even conceive of writing a sentence that just went on and on and on and on, cuz those are really hard to figure out, they are called "run on sentences" and I never ever use them cuz that would be wrong, and of course I've never found a preposition that it's appropraite to end a sentence with.
Seriously, the web is a writer’s medium. The spiffiest visual design in the world will get you nowhere if your text is plagiarized, borrowed, confusing, illiterate, or unorganized. I can edit your text and give you advice to make it web-friendly and ensure correct grammar, spelling, and usage.
- Social Networking
- One of the latest trends in the web world is the ever-expanding use of social networking to promote websites. I can help you promote your site on Facebook, YouTube, and other sites.
- I work cheap Reasonable Rates
- I'm used to starving. Actually, I've had quite enough of starving, thank you very much. But I can still put together a complete site, from conception through design, photography, development, posting, and publicity for less than you imagine. Well, less than you fear, anyway.
Some of my web projects:
I have worked on many web sites in various capacities. These sites best represent a wide range of my web work.
For what it’s worth, I am one of only a few website designer/developers on the Mendocino Coast creating database-driven sites using PHP and MySQL.
- University Press Audiobooks
- Professionally produced audiobook editions of important works by some of today's greatest minds. This site's db and backend scripts are configured to easily set up more specialized sub-sites, like Progressive Audiobooks and Military Audiobooks
- Crown Hall of Mendocino
- Owner maintainable site, built on my new “Redpark” framework, for a large rental hall in Mendocino.
- Redpark Framework
- This site just a sandbox, a demo for playing with the features of my new framework. The Redpark Framework is my own custom collection of scripts which allow me to put together a custom, owner maintainable, database-driven website quickly and easily. The framework incorporates my shopping cart, editable content pages, photo galleries, event calendar, contact form, and more. The visual design is easily modified to suit a wide range of aesthetic sensibilities while the code is efficient and easily indexed by the search engines.
- D'amore Trio, SF Chamber Music Ensemble
- Another site built on the Redpark Framework, thin one is for a classical music trio from the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Karen Muller, Ph.D.
- A small site for a southern Oregon clinical psychologist who happens to be my sister.
- Listen to Genius
- A large library of free, professionally produced podcasts from the works of history's greatest writers. We're up to 389 recordings now, and counting.
- Racel Lahn, artist
- A gallery site for a local artist working in watercolors, acrylic, and mixed media.
- Under the Table Books
- A pre-existing site which I've thoroughly recombobulated. I've added a shopping cart, updated the author's projects, improved navigation and search engine optimization, and installed a WordPress blog.
- Navarro River Music
- Another pre-existing site which I'm updating—actually, I'm pretty much starting over here. While the old shopping cart and file structure remains the same, the visual design, and nearly all of the content, is new
- Mendocino Coast Films
- I re-configured these filmmakers' visual site design into clean, search engine friendly HTML.
- Environmental Sculpture by Steve Crowningshield
- A database-driven photo gallery for a globe-trotting sculptor/photographer
- Digging Dog Nursery
- This site, while visually simple, is a search engine juggernaut.
- Bored Feet Press
- Simple, clean, standards compliant, structural markup, php shopping cart/database...
- A Tree Story
- A small site for a local author and videographer.
- Mendocino Sculpture
- The work of Robert Milholin.
- La Petite Maison: a Mendocino vacation rental cottage.
- A small site for a local vacation rental.
- Cabin in the Meadow.
- Another small site for a vacation rental; this one is in the Anderson Valley
- Cheryl Walters Mendocino Coast Realty.
- A simple, owner-maintainable, database-driven real estate site using php/mysql.
- Orb Goddess.
- The mysterious orb phenomenon in photos.
- Advocating for Someone with a Mental Illness.
- A simple site for Sonya Nesch, a book author.
- Mendocino Acupuncture
- Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine from Donna Call.
- History and science at the mouth of the Navarro River
- Cynthia Myers Art Glass
- Gallery site for a glass artist.