A couple of weeks ago, I posted the first part of a long newspaper article called “Yeager-Patterson Family History”. Here’s the second, and final, part. It is perhaps less interesting to people who aren’t related to the Yeagers and/or Pattersons, but it has lots of genealogical info, and some interesting tales about life on the prairie in the late 19th Century. Here goes:
Joseph Yeager, Sr. was a devout Christian and felt the need for a church in the community, so in 1879, was instrumental in having a church built on the corner five miles south of Oxford (where Alvin Williams lives.) The denomination was United Brethren and was named Yeager Chapel in his honor. Services were held there for many years but by 1909, interest waned and the building was sold to the Northern Baptist organization. The Baptists had been having services in the Jenkins schoolhouse the church building was moved two miles south, where it still stands, the Slate Valley Baptist Church.
At the time the Yeager-Patterson party (1874) came there were few acres in cultivation. Good land could be purchased for $400 to $600 a quarter. Farms having a large acreage broken out sold for as high as $1100 per quarter. There were few trees except along the streams, and no fences. Livestock had to he tethered out to pasture or be kept in small corrals. The Pattersons and Yeagers planted Osage Orange hedges and soon had living fences which also served as windbreaks.
Indians were still numerous and bothersome, altho not dangerous. They often camped on Mr. Yeager’s place on the hill above the ford on the Arkansas River. They would come to the Patterson’s beging food. While the squaws were at the house, an Indian man would be at the corn crib filling his arms with ear corn.
In 1877, Mrs. Joseph Yeager, Sr. [Elizabeth Lawrence] died and was the first person to be buried on Mr. Yeager’s farm overlooking the river. Not only was it a family cemetery, but others of the Rainbow Bend and Slate Valley community are buried there. One of the last persons interred there was Archie Patterson, 13 years old, son of the John Patterson’s in 1903.
Mr. Yeager later married a Mrs. Sarah Roe from Illinois and were the parents of a daughter, Grace, who became Mrs. Will Teter. Joseph Yeager, Sr. died January 18, 1898 at age 85. Mrs. Sarah Yeager died around 1906 or 1907. Both are buried in the Yeager cemetery.
Joseph Yeager, Jr., and wife, Amelia Woods Yeager and family lived on their farm, six miles south and three-fourths east until 1883, when they rented the farm and moved to Oxford, where he engaged in the milling business and in a hardware concern. They moved to Winfield in 1890 where he sold mulberry coal and later was in real estate. They were the parents of six children namely: Irene ( Mrs. Willlam Spence); Addie ( Mrs. Eli Cott–maybe H. C. ‘s relatives ); Bertha ( Mrs. Calvin Collins); Stella ( Mrs. Frank Johnson); Leona ( Mrs. John Townsend) and Joseph O. Yeager who married Lena Wimer. Mrs. J. W Ycager died ‘Oct. ‘9, 1917 and Mr. Yeager lived to past 98 years of age, dying Nov. 10, 1941. They are buried in the Oxford Cemetery.
Descendants living in this vicinity are grandchildren: Ray Spence, Harold Johnson, Mrs. Marie Collier and Mrs. Mabel Maddox, all of Winfield. Great grand-children:. Buddy Spence, Mrs. Howard Rush, Mrs. Alvin Williams and Mrs. James Delp, all of Oxford.
After Mr. Yeager’s death, the farm land was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Payton, who are living in the house built by Mr. Ycager in 1880 or ’81.
On the [Celia Yeager & John Davis] Patterson farm from that December in 1874 until the summer of 1910, when they moved to Wellington, renting their farm; the usual changes from the pioneer shanty to a more commodious house, as well as other improvements and increases of acreage, the joy of three weddings, the sorrow in the loss of those loved; truly, the living proof and example that “It takes a heap of livin’ in a house to wake a home.” Retirement from the farm, but not retirement from service to the family, friends, church and community. They celebrated their golden wedding in 1924 and had their 56th anniversary before John Patterson’s death in October, 1930 at age 79. Celia died February 26, 1959 just 4 days before her 104th birthday.
They were the parents of six children; Merton R.; Mabel (Mrs. Lee Condit); Ione ( Mrs. Fred. Woods); Archie L.; Noble W.; and Glen E. Mrs. Ione Woods resides at Riverview Manor and Glen lives in Leavenworth.
Residing in this community are grandchildren; Raymond Patterson, and Thoburn Woods of Oxford; Oleta (Woods) Barth of Wellington; Fern (Patterson) Pray and Velma (Condit) Hesket, both of Winfield; Helen (Condit) Hutchins, and Sterling Condit, both of Geuda Springs. Great grandchildren are Calvin Woods, Karen (Woods) Rebold, and Nelda (Woods) Miller of Oxford; Dale Hutchins, Donald Hesket and, Donna (Condit) Swanson of Geuda Springs, and Mabel (Hesket) King of Winfield.
The Patterson farms are still owned by the family: the Merton Patterson heirs, Glen Patterson and Mrs. Noble Patterson of Junction City.
The Frank [Francis Marion] Yeagers, (Mrs.Yeager [Amelia Louisa Patterson] was a sister of John Patterson) lived on the farm until 1902, when they sold the farm and moved to Centralia, Washington. Mrs. Patterson (Amelia) died October 8, 1940, age 84, having celebrated their 69th wedding anniversary, on May 22, of that year. Frank was a Civil War veteran and there were few alive at the time of his death, July 21, 1946, age 99 years.
They were the parents of fourteen children 10 growing to adulthood. The youngest daughter [Lula Geneva Yeager] is the only child living, and resides in Washington. None of the descendants live in Kansas.
Will and Grace Yeager Teter lived on the Joseph Yeager, Sr. homestead for many years, also in Oxford and Wichita. They celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary before Mr. Teter’s death in 1960. Mrs. Teter died in 1967, age 88 yrs. They were the parents of seven children, namely; Joe, Mary, Bertha (Mrs. Vern Holman), Donald, Dorothy, Leslie and Beulah (Mrs. Ray Lewis), The farm is the property of Mrs. Teter’s heirs and, is farmed by a grandson. Those living in the area are Mrs. Vern Holman, a daughter and grandsons, Gaylord and Jerry Holman.
Jerimiah (Jerry) Patterson, brother of John and AmelIa (Mrs. Frank) Yeager; and his wife Celia Smock Patterson came to Kansas in 1875 or ’76 and bought the farm mile north of the Rainbow Bend corner. They lived there the rest of their lives. Jerry died November 19, 1925, one month before their 55th wedding anniversary at the age of 75. Mrs. Patterson died May 31, 1943, age 91. Both are buried in the Oxford cemetery. They were the parents of six children. They are Laura (Mrs. Grant Zerger), Samuel, Worden; Libbie; Nora and Sadie (Mrs. Ora Johnson), None of their descendants are living in this vicinity.
Another brother Samuel B. and wife, Harriet Omstead Patterson came to Kansas in 1881 and bought the farm across from the Rainbow Bend school, where the Ralph Bell’s now live. Samuel died December 26, 1896, age 43. Mrs. Patterson died September 15, 1927 age 91, They were the parents of nine children. They are Ethel Keys Bigley; Chauncey E.; Elwood; Clare; Oakley; Gladys and Glen, twins; Vern and Vera, twins. Miss Vera Patterson formerly of Oxford, now resides in Wellington. Leslie Keys, formerly of Oxford is a grandson.