Several years ago, I spent a whole heapa time putting together my family tree. While it took a lot of my time, I didn’t really do anything resembling original research, I just assembled my brother Ric’s stuff, my aunt Beth’s material, notes from various other family members, info from dozens of websites, etc. I put it into a modern gedcom format and created a site for it using PhpGedView. Once the site was up, I pretty much ignored it.
Anyway, last fall, in the Great Web Host Updating Debacle, the site stopped working. For some reason, in the new host configuration, the db script wasn’t working to connect to the database. I was too busy fixing my clients’ sites and doing my regular work to worry too much about it then, but things calmed down a bit at the start of the year, so I resurrected the monster.
Once I got it working, I realized that either my data wasn’t as complete as I thought or some stuff got lost in the shuffle. Information like grandparents’ death dates, which I have easy access to, was missing. So, I started filling the missing info in. And adding pictures and newspaper clippings. And returning to old research dead ends. Even after several years, the dead ends still are dead.
But, my workload hasn’t eased up that much. I don’t have time to fall into bottomless time pits. If any family members out there want to add stuff, it’s pretty simple to set up an account on the site and make changes.